Cristina Ramos is a fine art photographer from Spain based in Uppsala, Sweden.
Ramos' photography operates somewhere between the real and the imagined. Her highly imaginative images bring to bear a unique storytelling ability - addressing the psycological aspects of the fairytale, but flowing at the same time into a broader context of life. Inside surreal scenes, these visual stories explore universal concepts such as passion, memory, fear, desire, trauma or the human relation with ourselves and with our habitat.
Starting with landscape and portrait photgraphy, Ramos began to learn and develop her technical skills in photography. Soon however, she felt the need to take a step further - to consider the camera not just as a tool to capture a place or a moment in time, but as a tool to capture her imagination.
¨I like to bend the idea of reality trying to show how things can be looked at differently. Everything can be inspiring, and stories are hidden everywhere, waiting to be unlocked with our emotional experiences. Creating alternative realities, and reaching for something deeper than the daily reality that traps us, is a need I satisfy through my work. And I do it without limits, the only rule is that there are no rules, I just want to imagine with no boundaries and as long as I can, create it."
"My stories are frozen in a moment where something has just/is about to happen like an incomplete sentence aiming to lead the viewer to interact with the scene and unravel the plot from his own perception. I believe photography is not just a tool to be limited to capture reality, but is a way to channel our inner selves by materialising imagination. It is a type of therapy that can serve to heal yourself and others, being the goal as well to show them a part of themselves. Art is a mirror for the creator and the observer."
Cristina has exhibited her work widely in solo and group shows across Spain and Sweden, winning awards in Stockholm, Paris and Spain.
- 2015 & 2017 - L´art de la Llum National Photography Awards, Madrid, Spain
- 2014 & 2016 - L´art de la Llum National Photography Awards, Madrid, Spain
- 2013 - Uppsala Foto Festival, Group Exhibition, Uppsala, Sweden
- 2013 - XX L´art de la Llum National Photography Competition, Onda City hall. Castellón, Spain
- 2013 - Certamen de Fotografía. C.M.U. Santa María de Europa, Madrid, Spain
- 2013 - 'Tus rincones favoritos', 1st Prize Individual Photo Catagory', Madrid, Spain
- 2012 - Onassis Culture Center, 25th Anniversary of Erasmus Programme Photography Awards, Athens, Greece
- 2018 - 'Sensibilities of Belonging', NoonPowell Gallery, group exhibition, Mall Galleries, London
- 2018 - 'Ethereal', Espace des Arts Sans Frontières, Group exhibition, Paris
- 2018 - '25 Anys de Premis Fotografias', Group Exhibition, Onda City Hall, Castellón, Spain
- 2018 - Blank Wall Gallery, Group Exhibition, Athens, Greece *
- 2018 - 'Sunrise in your hands', selected picture for cover of catalogue and exhibition promotion
- 2017 - 'Imaginarium' Solo Exhibition, Uppsala Fotofestival, Uppsala Konsert and Kongress, Sweden